Volvospeed Forums

Broken Odometer 850

tenn850

If your odometer quit working suddenly on your 850 it is most likely the small 7mm diameter gear inside. So you need to remove the instrument cluster per Bay13 instruction and take the odometer unit out. Once you did that you need to remove the motor held in place with two screws shown in the picture and replace the yellow gear. Then read the milage from your ECU (explained on this site or dealer can scan it if you do not know how to read it) and match the mechanical odometer to your REAL milage!

Now how do we post pictures??

If your odometer quit working suddenly on your 850 it is most likely the small 7mm diameter gear inside. So you need to remove the instrument cluster per Bay13 instruction and take the odometer unit out. Once you did that you need to remove the motor held in place with two screws shown in the picture and replace the yellow gear. Then read the milage from your ECU (explained on this site or dealer can scan it if you do not know how to read it) and match the mechanical odometer to your REAL milage!

That's all fine and well but where do you get that little 17 tooth gear? I own my own Volvo repair shop and I have yet to find anyone that will sell speedo parts. They always give you the song and dance about the "speedo police" kicking in their door for ilegally trafficking in black market speedo parts.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Yeah right!! If you have a source for these gears I would appreciate it. They can't cost much and 15 or 20 of then would last me forever.

I see them for sale on eBay often enough, or you can them from this place: http://www.odometergears.com/

What I'd like to know is how to read your mileage from the ecu. I have the OBD-2 reader and I'm not sure if it can do it or not. Also, why bother adjusting the odo unless you've driven a jerk load of miles since the gear broke?

The gear is the 15 teeth gear 7 mm O.D. It is yellow.

There is a post on how to retrieve the real milage on cars prior to 96 using the terminal A7 I think. Press 5 times the black botton then wait for the LED to come on, then press 1 time wait for LED to come on, then 1 wait, then 1 and read the last 3 digits, then repeat with 1-1-2 for the first three.

Here are the pictures, thanks to Rich for posting them :D

GearClosed.jpg

GearOpen.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest guy de verges

The gear is the 15 teeth gear 7 mm O.D. It is yellow.

There is a post on how to retrieve the real milage on cars prior to 96 using the terminal A7 I think. Press 5 times the black botton then wait for the LED to come on, then press 1 time wait for LED to come on, then 1 wait, then 1 and read the last 3 digits, then repeat with 1-1-2 for the first three.

Here are the pictures, thanks to Rich for posting them :D

GearClosed.jpg

GearOpen.jpg

Thank you for all your help. I removed the cluster and have a new gear on order.

While I have the dash apart I would like to get to the security system blinking LED on the dash center near the windsheild. The light fell into the dash a few years ago but with the dash apart for the cluster removal I still can't get to the light. What else do I need to remove to access the light?

Thank you.

Guy

I am not sure if taking the top dash pad out would help. The LED sits on top of the air vent (black plastic) that is actually a big piece behind the dash. I would try to fish it out with a bent metal rod.

To remove the top dash pad you need to disconnect the pass. side airbag (orange connector) behind the glovebox. Disconnect the battery before.

• 6 months later...

My Tech (Swedish Imports in Augusta GA) says it's an electronics problem, not a gear. Periodically my odo and cruise just drop off-line.

Help?

• 1 month later...

Where do I go for the detailed instructions to replace the gears? I found the site, odometergears.com, for the purchase of the two gears but I need instructions. Help.

Archived