Volvospeed Forums

Installing A Hu-615 Into 2000 V40

esluis

Hello,

I am new to this forum and spent about 2 hours browsing all the great info.

I am stuck and would like your advise

I have an HU 615 that I bought at e-bay (legally, I have the security code), fits the S40/V40 2001 models

I have a V40 2000

Connectors are different. I found the pin-out of the V40 2000 audio wiring harness (is the 16/1 wiring), but I have not yet found the 2 12 pin connector layouts that I found on the HU 615.

I have the skills to connect the wiring, but need to know what pins are used for what on the HU-615.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-Edwin

• 2 weeks later...

Go to a dealer pay something about 35-50 bucks and buy a converter.

2001 head units connectors are different and Volvo made a converter for this

For example here in Turkey 2000 HU is about 1200 $ but 2001 HU is about 500 $ plus 50 $ for the converter

I will go to my dealer today if I can get the code for the converter i will post

I replaced my HU-615 with an Alpine unit. I found that the connector that Metra called out for my 2002 S40 was wrong (70-9220). This one fits the SC-xxx headunits. However the 70-9221 for the S80 fits. They also make connectors that fit the Volvo head units. (71-9221 for the HU-xxx and 71-9220 for the SC-xxx)

Metra 71-9221 (for the 1999 and up S80 harness) fits the HU-615. You could splice the 71-9221 to a Metra 70-9220 that fits the SC-xxx harness.

BTY, Metra 40-VL10 for the antenna on the HU-615.

The pin-out for the HU-615 is below:

From a 2002 S/V40 electrical systems shop manual (TP3959202): This is for Left Hand Drive (LHD). Right Hand Drive (RHD) is slightly different.

Conn: Function: Color:

A:1 Pwr Antenna R

A:2 Pwr Acc+ BN-W

A:3 CEM (Ctrl Module) Y-W

A:4 Speed input (ASC) GN

A:5 CEM (Ctrl Module) R-SB

A:8 Ground SB

A:12 Ground SB

A:9 Sub Pwr+ (V40) R

B:1 Front Dash/Door Left (+) BN

B:2 Front Dash/Door Left (-) W

B:5 Front Dash/Door Right (+) GN-Y

B:6 Front Dash/Door Right (-) GR

B:7 Rear Dash/Door Left (+) Y-SB

B:8 Rear Dash/Door Left (-) W

B:11 Rear Dash/Door Right (+) Y

B:12 Rear Dash/Door Right (-) GN-W

BN=Brown, GN=Green, W=White

Y=Yellow, GR=Gray, SB=Black

Have fun

Stan

Stan,

Thank you so much for writing all of this up. I will use it as soon as I have a moment to do the work.

Related question. I have the code for the HU 615, but no manual, how do I enter the code, there are no numerical buttons on the radio. I presume I have to use the buttons around the display for it. Do you have any insights you can share?

Thanks again,

Edwin

Stan,

Thank you so much for writing all of this up. I will use it as soon as I have a moment to do the work.

Related question. I have the code for the HU 615, but no manual, how do I enter the code, there are no numerical buttons on the radio. I presume I have to use the buttons around the display for it. Do you have any insights you can share?

Thanks again,

Edwin

I don't racall exactly but you use one of the knobs (I think the center one). Rotate to increment/decrement the number, press the button in to select. I can look it up in my manual to be sure. The radio also has some cool hidden menues and features like an equalizer for front and rear. You can also get a digital readout of your speed (part of the ASC feature that adjusts the volume based on your speed. I can provide details on accessing later.

As far as wiring... note that there are connections to the CEM (control module). I am not sure what this is for and if it is necessary.

Cool to see another x40 driver here. We seem to be rare on this forum. Might also check out VVSPY.com and S40Concepts.net

Stan

Hi Stan,

Thanks again for the quick response. Tomorrow I should receive that cable you mentioned and then I should be up and going on getting the HU connected and mounted.

Once I have it connected I will give the rotating-the-knob-and-push for the security code a try.

I am curious about those hidden menues as well.

Looking forward to your response.

On your remark about few x40 drivers on this forum. Yeah, I noticed that too. Is the x40 not as much of a hobbyist car? or is it too new in the US.

Anyway, I am very happy with the 2000 V40, we just recently bought it to replace a 1996 850 Turbo. We love driving the Volvo.

I will check out those other sites as well.

Take care,

Edwin

More on hidden menu stuff:

Equilizer:

The HU-615 has a hidden menu. With the stereo off, hold the "select" knob in and turn the on wile still holding the "select" knob in for about 5 seconds. This gives the capability to adjust:

Front Low1

Front Low2

Front Mid

Front High

Rear Low

Rear Mid

Rear High

Press "select" to cycle through these options. Rotate the "select" knob to increase or decrease gain (0-6).

There are other hidden features as well that I am not exactly sure what they do. Again with the stereo off, hold a button while powering on for 5 sec. One of the coolest is displaying your speed in km/h on the radio display. The 615 can adjust the volume auromatically based on your speed (ASC). If things get too screwed up, there is an EEPROM reset in one of the menus.

Speed Readout:

Ok, lets unlock the secret.

1) With the stereo off, press and hold the "I<<" button

2) press and release the power knob while still holding the "I<<" button until the display changes then release

3) Rotate the center knob (preset selector) until you see "CONSTANT DISP >>>>>"

4) Press the center knob to select

5) Display should show ASC/BAR/DAB/IP/OFF or something like that

6) Pressing the center knob cycles theough each one, you want "ASC"

7) Once ASC is selected, rotate the center knob until you see the option to exit.

Now your display should show:

M 96KM> -36 + 03 = -33

where 96KM is your speed, -36 is your volume setting in attenuated dB, +03 is the ASC adjustment applied based on your speed and -33 is the total volume attenuation.

Other display options:

BAR = displays bar graphs of the radio signal strength, left and right for FM Stereo and just a single display for AM.

DAB = I think is for Digital Audio Broadcast - not confirmed

IP = don't really know but it seems to have something to do with the radio.

This menu (I<<)is where you will also find the EEPROM Reset if you monkey things up too much.

Legal Stuff: I claim no responsibility or expertise in this area. Tinker at your own risk. But I'd be interested in knowing what you find.

I am curious why you decided to go with the HU-615 instead of aftermarket? Looks?

I have an Alpine HU that matches the dash color almost perfectly and got a single DIN pocket from Volvo that is made for the car. See photo in link below.

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.php?t=m...rt=15#msg_13513

Enjoy

Stan

I replaced my HU-615 with an Alpine unit.  I found that the connector that Metra called out for my 2002 S40 was wrong (70-9220).  This one fits the SC-xxx headunits.  However the 70-9221 for the S80 fits.  They also make connectors that fit the Volvo head units. (71-9221 for the HU-xxx and 71-9220 for the SC-xxx)

Metra 71-9221 (for the 1999 and up S80 harness) fits the HU-615. You could splice the 71-9221 to a Metra 70-9220 that fits the SC-xxx harness.

BTY, Metra 40-VL10 for the antenna on the HU-615.

The pin-out for the HU-615 is below:

From a 2002 S/V40 electrical systems shop manual (TP3959202): This is for Left Hand Drive (LHD). Right Hand Drive (RHD) is slightly different.

Conn: Function: Color:

A:1 Pwr Antenna R

A:2 Pwr Acc+ BN-W

A:3 CEM (Ctrl Module) Y-W

A:4 Speed input (ASC) GN

A:5 CEM (Ctrl Module) R-SB

A:8 Ground SB

A:12 Ground SB

A:9 Sub Pwr+ (V40) R

B:1 Front Dash/Door Left (+) BN

B:2 Front Dash/Door Left (-) W

B:5 Front Dash/Door Right (+) GN-Y

B:6 Front Dash/Door Right (-) GR

B:7 Rear Dash/Door Left (+) Y-SB

B:8 Rear Dash/Door Left (-) W

B:11 Rear Dash/Door Right (+) Y

B:12 Rear Dash/Door Right (-) GN-W

BN=Brown, GN=Green, W=White

Y=Yellow, GR=Gray, SB=Black

Have fun

Stan

Before you posted this, I had already opened the HU and the B connector layout is indeed as you listed. However the A connector is different (and the cable that you mentioned confirmed my findings. So please allow me to correct the A connector layout:

A1 - Permanent battery +

A2 - Ignition switched power

A3 - Dashboard light control (Rheostat)

A4 - Accelerator (for ASC)

A5 - n/c

A6 - Telephone Mute

A7 - CAN H (no idea what this is)

A8 - CAN L (ditto)

A9 - Antenna power

A10 - Ctrl +

A11 - Ctrl -

A12 - Ground

And for other reader's benefit, numbering is like:

view on connector:

1 2 3 4 5 6

-- -- -- -- -- --

-- -- -- -- -- --

7 8 9 10 11 12

- Edwin

We have lift-off....

I received the wiring harness for the HU (thanks again for the info). I connected it and I had the same problem as I had when I 'in a hacky way' connected the wiring before. The problem being a blank display with the power button working and the cassette player accepting and ejecting the tape, but the CD player accepting but not ejecting the CD.

I opened up the HU and found that the front panel is connected with 3 less than solid connectors.

I reseated the panel and now I have a working display and now the prompt for entering the code is pretty obvious. The CD player works well too now.

See a reply to your earlier pin-out response for a correction on the A-connector.

anyway, to respond to your question why I went with the HU 615 instead of an aftermarket. Primarily because of my hope that connecting it would be easy (we all make mistakes :P) and I only paid about 83 dollars for it over e-bay.

Anyway, I did make a little pinout document for the HU 615, so if the moderator of this forum wants to add it to the reference (like the 16/1 connector) let me know.

Thanks Stan for all your help. I am really enjoying the HU and the sound is pretty darn good.

-Edwin

Sounds like a good deal for the HU. It is a nice unit with the flexibility of having the eq.

Thanks, I'll have to look into the pin-out. I got it from my electrical schematics manual.

Stan

Archived